Quick facts: Final Rule 2021R-08F
- Final Rule 2021R-08F was published on January 31, 2023.
- People who have firearms with barrels shorter than 16 inches, or with an overall length under 26 inches, equipped with a pistol stabilizing brace have until May 31, 2023 to come into compliance with F.R. 2021R-08F. People may:
- Permanently remove the pistol stabilizing brace from the firearm.
- Register the pistol stabilizing brace-equipped firearm as a National Firearms Act (NFA) item.
- Destroy the firearm as per ATF guidelines.
- People who choose to register their pistol stabilizing brace-equipped firearm as a short barreled rifle (SBR) prior to May 31, 2023, will not be required to pay the $200 tax that is typically part of the NFA process.
- This tax amnesty only applies to firearms that are being registered as SBRs.
- There will be no exception made for people living in states that do not allow the possession of SBRs.
Contact your U.S. LawShield® Independent Program Attorney for more information regarding how F.R. 2021R-08F impacts you.
The information provided in this publication is intended to provide general information to individuals and is not legal advice. The information included in this publication may not be quoted or referred to in any other publication without the prior written consent of U.S. LawShield, to be given or withheld at our discretion. The information is not a substitute for, and does not replace the advice or representation of a licensed attorney. We strive to ensure the information included in this publication is accurate and current, however, no claim is made to the accuracy of the information and we are not responsible for any consequences that may result from the use of information in this publication. The use of this publication does not create an attorney-client relationship between U.S. LawShield, any independent program attorney, and any individual.