The following is a video transcript.

What are your firearm carry rights when trick-or-treating with the family on Halloween?

Private property notice

If you’re walking from house to house in a neighborhood, you will be frequently entering onto private property. Concealed weapons may be prohibited by private property owners if they have announced the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place. The minimum size must be 11 inches by 14 inches with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch.

Absent a posted sign, you are permitted by law to carry concealed unless asked to leave. If you’re afraid of getting into a sticky situation with a neighbor, you could always have one parent or guardian accompany the kids while another remains on the sidewalk with their concealed firearm.

What not to do

Halloween can be a great time for family but it can also bring out unstable people. Carrying your concealed firearm may provide you with added safety for you and your family. Remember not to display your firearm in an angry or threatening manner. To do so will likely lead to the felony charge of unlawful use of a weapon under the brandishing provision of the statute. Do not draw your firearm unless you fully intend to use it. As a reminder, you can only use deadly force to protect yourself in Missouri if you are in imminent danger of deadly harm or while a forcible felony is being committed against you.

Can I carry at school functions and churches?

If you are going to a school event, remember that a school is a place where firearms are prohibited, even for school-sponsored activities that take place elsewhere. If you go to a church for a trunk-or-treat, you need permission from the governing body of the church to legally carry a firearm. Even if the trunk-or-treat is just in the church parking lot, it is still church property.

Have fun on Halloween. Be safe and make sure you follow the law. If you have additional questions, please contact U.S. LawShield and ask to speak to an Independent Program Attorney.