To improve your self-defense skills, please join us at At Arm’s Length, It’s Not Just A Shooting, It’s A Fight!, a 2-day Close Quarter Pistol course to be held Oct. 4-5, 2016 at the Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers Association in Lower Paxton, PA.
The instructor will be Richard Nance, cofounder of WARTAC CQC, LLC, and a full-time municipal police officer with a Northern California police department. The McShane Firm and U.S. Law Shield of Pennsylvania are co-hosting the event. Tuition is $550. The maximum number of students is 20.
Click here for more information and to register.
During his 18+ year law-enforcement career, Nance has served as a SWAT Team Leader, Firearms Instructor, and Defensive Tactics Instructor in addition to his patrol duties. He is a lifelong martial artist and Karate Blackbelt. Richard writes for Guns & Ammo and Handguns magazines and is the co-host of Handguns & Defensive Weapons, a Sportsman Channel original TV series. He authored the book, GunFight! – An Integrated Approach to Shooting and Fighting in Close Quarters. Handguns & Defensive Weapons is the number-one-rated production show on the Sportsman Channel.
Justin J. McShane, U.S. Law Shield of Pennsylvania Program Attorney and organizer of the event, said, “This is an area of self-defense known as Combatives. Combatives involves simple, proven street-level, real-world applications of justified use of force in self-defense.”
McShane explained that the Close Quarter Pistol course addresses the fact that gunfights often occur at distances much closer than shooters would like to think. At arm’s length, compressed reaction times and the presence of contact distance weapons like knives, bludgeons, and even fists can dramatically affect the outcome of the encounter. Gun retention is yet another problem specific to this fast-paced, hyper-violent range of combat, he said.
Subjects covered will include:
- Firearms Safety Review
- Dynamics of a Close Quarter Engagement
- Fending and Striking
- Fouling the Adversary’s Draw Stroke
- Facing a Drawn Weapon (Disarming)
- Fundamentals of Marksmanship (as Related to Close Quarter Shooting)
- Combat Draw Stroke
- Shooting from Retention
- Contact Distance Shooting
- One-Handed Malfunction Clearing
- Striking with your Pistol
- Holstered Handgun Retention
- In-Hand Handgun Retention
- Clinch and Ground Applications
McShane said this is an active participation course where attendees will have to have some level of physical capabilities to fully participate in all activities. “It is not required that participants be at an Army Ranger level of fitness, but the ability to move without a great deal of difficulty will enable folks to get the most out of the class,” McShane said.
What students will need (not included in the tuition):
- Handgun (Semi-Auto Pistol or Revolver)
- 400 rounds of ammunition
- Minimum of 2 Magazines (Semi-Auto Pistol) or a Speedloader (Revolver)
- Belt w/Belt-Mounted Holster or suitable IWB or OWB paddle or clip system
- Magazine Pouch (Semi-Auto Pistol)
- Wrap Around Eye Protection/Ear Protection
- Closed toed shoes/active wear shoes (no flip flops, no high heels, no sandals)
Oct. 4-5, 2016
Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers Association in Lower Paxton, PA.
6611 Hunters Run Rd, Harrisburg, PA 17111