Can I Gift a Gun? – Colorado

Do you have the question can I gift a gun for the holidays? Watch Independent Program Attorney Drew Eddy teach what you need to know before you buy. 

Drew: Hi folks my name is Drew Eddy. I am an attorney with U.S. LawShield. And I am coming to you today from beautiful Denver, Colorado. Here to talk to you about a few gun issues. Starting with the law surrounding gifting a gun or giving a gun as a gift.

Generally speaking, it is an absolutely legal thing to do. But you should go through an FFL. It is required by state law to do so. FFL stands for Federal Firearms License. The person conducting the transfer will request a background check and obtain state approval and record that transfer.

There are a number of exceptions to the FFL requirement that may be pertinent to your own personal situation.  But the main exceptions that most people find themselves in include receiving a gun as an inheritance or giving a gun to an immediate family member. Under both of those circumstances, an FFL is not required.

Protect Your Loved Ones - Shop Now

Give the Gift of Protection; Shop Now

Comment section

2 comments on “Can I Gift a Gun? – Colorado

  1. I would like to give a rifle to my cousin in North Carolina and two handguns to a friend in South Carolina. If I take the firearms with me to each state, do I need to use an FFL holder in each state to transfer ownership?


    • Hi Frank. Thank you for your question. Please see the below response from one of our Independent Program Attorneys in Colorado.

      “Yes, an FFL is required for every transfer of a firearm between individuals that live in different states. You must use an FFL from the state where the transferee lives and the transferee must fill out a form 4473. Depending on the state, the FFL must then contact either the FBI or the state law enforcement agency to conduct a NICS background check before transfer may take place.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.